[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk 1.0.8 and TDM stop acking inbound calls?

Patrick Friedel pfriedel at copweb.com
Mon Oct 3 11:27:45 MST 2005

My office has been running Asterisk 1.0.8 and a TDM04B for a few months
now without too much trouble.  After a while we discovered that after a
certain period (about a month), asterisk stopped acknowledging inbound
calls.  Since I was out of the office the first time it happened,
another admin rebooted the whole box which solved the problem.  The
second time it happened I discovered that just restarting gracefully
solved the problem, so I put that into my cron and forgot about it.  (I
know, it's not "right", but debugging something that happens
unpredictably once a month could go on for way too long to be acceptable..)

  Now, less than a week since I did that, asterisk stopped ringing our
extensions on inbound calls again.  "sip show peers" showed that
asterisk knew about all of the extensions.  I forgot to check "zap show
channels" when * was ignoring inbound calls, is it possible that *
thinks all the lines are still off hook?  Is there anything else I
should do to figure out what's causing trouble?  Unfortunately it's
usually something of a panic situation, so I'm not allowed the chance to
troubleshoot as thoroughly as I'd like.

  Speaking of, I've fiddled and tweaked left and right to get hangup
detection working better to no real avail.  Asterisk eventually decides
the far side hung up about 10 seconds after the fact.  Am I
understanding right that call progress is still something of a black art
for analog FXO devices?  Not getting 10 second dead air voicemails when
people hang up would be sweet. :)

  I couldn't find a changelog for 1.0.9 to see if it's worth the
off-hours maintenance window, and we're too dependant on the phones to
try 1.2.  Should I try the next step up in the probably unnecessary
preventative maintenance and unload/reload the wctdm module during the
asterisk restart?  Is there any way to have asterisk notify that it's
running low on/out of resources?  We don't typically ever tie up all of
our zap channels except for really particularly exciting days, so if
they are all in use it would be cause for concern..