[Asterisk-Users] Console sound output -- shuts off when call from console answered

Wolfgang Borgon wborgon at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 3 11:16:38 MST 2005

I've got a problem with audio output from the Asterisk console.  I'd really appreciate any help.

I'm simply trying to dial out to a phone on PSTN.  My extensions.conf entry is as follows:

exten => _1NXXNXXXXXX,1,Dial(IAX2/####@voxee/${EXTEN})
exten => _1NXXNXXXXXX,2,Hangup

After starting asterisk and dialing, I hear a ringback tone through the console speaker, and the PSTN phone rings.

1) If I answer the phone, asterisk indicates the call has been answered, says something about stopping sounds, and the console speaker cuts out.  I am only able to speak through the console mic and hear this speech on the PSTN phone.   After hanging up, if I try dialing again, I no longer hear any ringback tones -- basically it seems that the console speaker has been shut off.

2) If I don't answer the phone, and hangup the call from the console, I can continue to dial out and here ringback output on the console speaker.

Please, I'd really appreciate any advice.  I'm assuming this is an Asterisk issue has I've had no other problems with my ALSA/JACK config.

Below is sample verbose output from the console:

___*CLI> dial 1#######@voxee
    -- Executing Dial("ALSA/default", IAX2/####@voxee/1###########|) in new stack
    -- Called ####@voxee/1##########
    -- Call accepted by 66.246.246.52 (format ulaw)
    -- Format for call is ulaw
    -- IAX2/voxee-1 is making progress passing it to ALSA/default
Oct  2 14:44:04 WARNING[3750]: chan_alsa.c:751 alsa_indicate: Don't know how to display condition 14 on ALSA/default
    -- IAX2/voxee-1 is ringing
    -- IAX2/voxee-1 stopped sounds
    -- IAX2/voxee-1 answered ALSA/default
 << Console call has been answered >>
    -- Hungup 'IAX2/voxee-1'
  == Spawn extension (voxee, 1##########, 3) exited non-zero on 'ALSA/default'
 << Hangup on console >>
___CLI>