[Asterisk-Users] A rather big setup.

Simone Cittadini mymailforlists at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 06:27:39 MST 2005

Vedran Dakic ha scritto:

>I can only guess that I should have the ability to deliver a solution that
>can do some 100/500 simultaneously. The only question is how powerful should
>be a machine (or machines) that could do around 100/500 simultaneously. And,
>just for the sake of knowing, what should the setup be alike if it was
>240/1000 simultaneously?

My suggestion is to buy the E1 cards first of all and put them in a test
server, equipped with asterisk and all the relevant
agi / db connections / moh etc..
Then loop the card with a crossover cable and run some test script to
generate the  medium and upper bound call flows.
That should give you an idea of your cpu/ram requirements.

>>In the second case there's no need for a cluster, a good server will do,
>>(obviously a second server for backup is a good idea ). I'm assuming you
>>can use a/ulaw to transmit the data, if bandwidth is a problem and you
>>must compress cpu usage becomes a boottleneck to keep in mind.
>>

>A/ulaw? I saw some reports that G.729 uses very little bandwidth and has
>a quality part granted (audio quality). It's not a question of hardware
>and/or CPU power, I have two dual Opteron configurations and could install
>some more, it's just the question of that setup running with quality audio
>and no unwanted events.

G729 has a very good quality -considered the bandwidth used-, but if
your customers are used to conventional telephony they will no doubt
notice the difference, so go with G711 (probably alaw, since you use E1
I suppose you are in europe)
Anyway if bandwidth is a problem consider ilbc / speex which are free
and have good audio qualities also.
Lastly a lot of the quality comes from a well configured phone, tweak
with volumes and timeouts.

>I presume that I should have all of the phones using the same codec (so,
>no transcoding), and preferrably the same VoIP protocol. I have a choice
>there so everything's possible. Let's say - IP10s has H.323, SIP and MGCP
>firmwares, although I'd like to leave H.323 out of the story.

Yes, leaving H323 out of the story is a good way to start the project :)