[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk hobby box

tmassey at obscorp.com tmassey at obscorp.com
Tue Nov 15 23:30:47 MST 2005

asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote on 11/15/2005 06:42:40 PM:

> That being said, and as I mentioned earlier, your cheapest choice is
> to go to eBay and search for X100P.

Here's a question:  why are you building your hobby box?  To gain
practical experience?  Then forget the X100:  it's like learning Windows
NT:  yeah, the information might be somewhat valid today, but it's way
obselete.  The X100 is dead, and very unlamented.  If you're just trying
to build a fancy answering machine with no other purpose, then fine: waste
time on the X100.  But if there is any purpose to this, forget the X100P.

This coming from the guy with 3 of them on the shelf, collecting dust,
purchased for $100 each!

> However, IMNSHO, your best choice
> is to shell out somewhere around $100 for a Sipura SPA-3000. This
> will provide a way for you to connect your home phone line to
> asterisk, and a way for you to connect an analog phone to asterisk as
> an extension.

You've got three choices, really, on the low end:

Digium TDM400 with one FXO port:  $130
Sipura SPA-3000 with one FXO and one FXS:  $100
Grandstream Handytone 486 with one FXO and one FXS:  $80

Yes, you *can* buy an X100P clone for like $10 plus S&H on eBay.  Don't.
You could get just as much experience if you took the $15 you'd spend on
the stupid thing and give them to a VoIP provider like Junction Networks
or TelIAX and use it.

> It would be a good idea for you to spend some time on google, voip-
> info.org, asterisk.org, asteriskdocs.org, etc. searching for
> information.

Seconded.

Tim Massey