[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk hobby box

Tom Rymes trymes at cascadelinksystems.com
Tue Nov 15 16:42:40 MST 2005

On Nov 15, 2005, at 6:16 PM, Logan wrote:

[snip]

> I am trying to set up a small hobby box on Debian Linux to play
> around with. This will in no way be in a production evironment or
> even a semi-production environment. Asterisk will be installed on
> my personal Linux box. I have a generic Soft56k modem (which I hope
> to soon replace) in there now. It doesn't work for PPP in Debian
> because it's a Winmodem. <- That's irrelavent. I was wondering if
> it was feasable to istall Asterisk on this box and have that modem
> (or whatever modem) with a regular telephone wired to the "Phone"
> port. I'm hoping to spend very little (under $50) or none, if
> possible.

Logan,

You need to figure out what type of modem you have now. If, by
chance, it happens to be a Digium X100P clone (very unlikely), then
it will work. However, if it isn't an X100P clone, it will not work.
Period. (Unless you code up a driver yourself).

That being said, and as I mentioned earlier, your cheapest choice is
to go to eBay and search for X100P. However, IMNSHO, your best choice
is to shell out somewhere around $100 for a Sipura SPA-3000. This
will provide a way for you to connect your home phone line to
asterisk, and a way for you to connect an analog phone to asterisk as
an extension.

It would be a good idea for you to spend some time on google, voip-
info.org, asterisk.org, asteriskdocs.org, etc. searching for
information.

Tom

Tom Rymes
Cascade Link Systems
www.cascadelinksystems.com
(603) 375-1414

"Intelligent technology solutions for small businesses."