[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk hobby box

Russ Price kxt at fubegra.net
Wed Nov 16 07:11:28 MST 2005

tmassey at obscorp.com wrote:
> Here's a question:  why are you building your hobby box?  To gain
> practical experience?  Then forget the X100:  it's like learning Windows
> NT:  yeah, the information might be somewhat valid today, but it's way
> obselete.  The X100 is dead, and very unlamented.  If you're just trying
> to build a fancy answering machine with no other purpose, then fine:
>  waste time on the X100.  But if there is any purpose to this, forget
> the X100P.

Funny you would say that - I have a box running with a pair of X100P
clones at the moment. I did have to tinker with transmit and receive
levels, but, since then, they have run just fine on my old 533 MHz
Celeron box, with no echo problems on 1.2.0 beta2 or rc2.  I have them
hooked into the voice mail ports on a Panasonic KX-TA624, and managed to
integrate it in as a voice mail system.

The main advantage for the TDM400 is that you can add FXS ports, or you
could have four FXOs if you needed them.  Still, the TDM400's cost is
rather steep for a "hobby" box.

I wouldn't recommend trying to use more than one X100P card unless you
can insure they get separate IRQs, and going with more than two would
probably not be a good idea.

	Russ