[Asterisk-Users] Advice on Asterisk-based home voicemail+fax+data system

Tom Rymes trymes at cascadelinksystems.com
Sun Nov 13 22:15:44 MST 2005

On Nov 13, 2005, at 6:59 PM, mylists at obitori.net wrote:

> I took a look at vgetty as a solution for my home telephony needs,
> but the
> lack of documentation (at least beginner-level documentation) led
> me to
> give up.  I have a couple of GNU/Linux (gentoo & Debian) and
> FreeBSD boxes
> at home.  I have a POTS line and a digital cable modem.  I am not
> interested in dropping my local tone dial service for VOIP.  I want
> to do
> the following:

Asterisk will work for you. Some planning in advance will be needed.
As was recommended by another user, I would start with Asterisk at Home
from http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net. BE CAREFUL!!!!!! When you
boot from the A at H CD it will format your hard drive without so much
as a peep. However, it is a great way to get started with Asterisk,
especially if you are approaching it from a "I want this to just
work" standpoint, instead of a "I want to know this beast inside and
out and build the whole thing from scratch" point of view. (Neither
approach is better, per se, but figure out where you are and choose
your method accordingly...)

> 1.  Voice mail answering system.  Message by person is a must if I am
> going to forward by email.

Built right in. This is a not brainer. For multiple mailboxes, you
will need to set up multiple extensions or some way to drop the
caller into the appropriate mailbox. (such as an IVR.)

> 2.  Voice mail is recorded as a .wav file (or similar) and either
> forwarded to email accounts or at least put in folder where it can be
> forwarded to the
> right user based on either the folder it is in or the message's
> file name.
> (So, I can write a script to email the message.)

Asterisk can attach voicemail messages to e-mails right out of the
box. No problem there.

> 3.  Receive faxes and save them as a file in the same folder as the
> voice
> mail
> (so that I can forward it.)

Faxing is somewhat more troublesome, but can definitely be done. I
would start with the telephony, and once you are comfortable with
that, then tackle faxing.

> 4.  not interfere with outgoing voice calls.

I would recommend that you actually route all outgoing calls through
Asterisk. This will not interfere with your outgoing calls, and will,
in fact, give you more flexibility (ie: Least cost routing - send all
local calls over your copper line, send all long distance to an ITSP
such as Teliax or VOIPJet for long distance savings)

> 5.  Act as a fax server and dial out faxes for home LAN pcs (linux,
> unix,
> windows) clients.

Again, Asterisk can do this, but I would start with telephony. If you
are feeling adventuresome, Lee has released IAXModem, which will
allow you to connect Asterisk to HylaFAX, but again, this is more
advanced.

> 7.  Be able to dial out data calls.

I would recommend that you leave Asterisk out of the loop on this one
and just connect the modem to the copper line with a 'Y' splitter
before it gets to Asterisk.

> 8.  Act as PPP Internet connection for backup to cable Internet.

I think that this would best be done by a routerappliance, such as a
CyberGuard SG300. (I think that has a serial failover....if not, buy
a Snapgear Pro on eBay or I'm sure that other models offer this
ability.) If you don't do that, then this functionality should be
handled aside from Asterisk on the Linux side of things. Again,
connect the modem before the line gets to Asterisk.

> 9.  Be able to use Skype through my digital cable-based Internet
> connection.

I don't think that SIP and Skype conflict, but I would do a little
Google Spelunking on this one. This will also depend on whether the
Asterisk box is the router, and whether you will have any SIP ITSPs
connected.

> So, with these goals in mind, I started looking at Asterisk.  It looks
> like I need some sort of hardware card like the Wildcard TDM 400P.  I
> guess I am
> looking for some idea of whether I am barking up the wrong tree.
> Asterisk

It's not the wrong tree, but I think that some of what you want to do
(failover, fax, outgoing data) might best be handled apart from
Asterisk. Consider a service such as eFax if you have very low volume
faxing needs, or maybe a voice-Fax switch combined with HylaFAX and
an analog modem. Asterisk is a great program and is extremely
flexible, so it ought to work for you. Definitely check out
Asterisk at Home.

> seems very alive and well while vgetty docs are much older, but it
> is a
> real PBX, not a home modem solution.  Any suggestions on how I can
> piece
> together a reasonably priced solution to do the above?  I am
> flexible on
> what hardware goes in.  Any ideas/comments appreciated.

I would recommend that you start with an X100P or a TDM400P if you
are dead set on having Asterisk handle any Fax or Data calls.
However, If you plan on connecting your modems and Fax equipment
directly to the analog line and sharing that line with Asterisk
(which is what I would do), I would look into a Sipura SPA-3000,
which will allow you to connect one incoming/outgoing phone line AND
an analog phone set (such as the phones in your house) It's cheap and
works well.

Basically, Asterisk can definitely be made to do what you want to do.
I suggest you start small and just tackle your voice needs, and then
layer on FAX and data. Have fun!

Tom

Cascade Link Systems
www.cascadelinksystems.com
(603) 375-1414

"Intelligent technology solutions for small businesses."