[Asterisk-Users] Advice on Asterisk-based home voicemail+fax+data system

mylists at obitori.net mylists at obitori.net
Sun Nov 13 16:59:59 MST 2005

I took a look at vgetty as a solution for my home telephony needs, but the
lack of documentation (at least beginner-level documentation) led me to
give up.  I have a couple of GNU/Linux (gentoo & Debian) and FreeBSD boxes
at home.  I have a POTS line and a digital cable modem.  I am not
interested in dropping my local tone dial service for VOIP.  I want to do
the following:

1.  Voice mail answering system.  Message by person is a must if I am
going to forward by email.
2.  Voice mail is recorded as a .wav file (or similar) and either
forwarded to email accounts or at least put in folder where it can be
forwarded to the
right user based on either the folder it is in or the message's file name.
(So, I can write a script to email the message.)
3.  Receive faxes and save them as a file in the same folder as the voice
mail
(so that I can forward it.)
4.  not interfere with outgoing voice calls.
5.  Act as a fax server and dial out faxes for home LAN pcs (linux, unix,
windows) clients.
6.  Not interfere with outgoing voice calls.

*** less important ***

7.  Be able to dial out data calls.
8.  Act as PPP Internet connection for backup to cable Internet.
9.  Be able to use Skype through my digital cable-based Internet connection.

So, with these goals in mind, I started looking at Asterisk.  It looks
like I need some sort of hardware card like the Wildcard TDM 400P.  I
guess I am
looking for some idea of whether I am barking up the wrong tree.  Asterisk
seems very alive and well while vgetty docs are much older, but it is a
real PBX, not a home modem solution.  Any suggestions on how I can piece
together a reasonably priced solution to do the above?  I am flexible on
what hardware goes in.  Any ideas/comments appreciated.

Regards,

Bud Roth