[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Crashing (high load issues)

snacktime snacktime at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 22:36:16 MST 2005

> Have you tried it with a straight linux kernel from kernel.org<http://kernel.org>?? What
> versions?
> Have you tried it with a non-SMP kernel from kernel.org<http://kernel.org>and/or your
> distro?
> Have you tried a nice, simple, distro like debian? IMHO, I found redhat,
> etc make too many customisations even to simple things like the kernel,
> so even when I used to use redhat, I always used my own kernel without
> any of their patches etc. One thing I always did was to not compile
> anything into the kernel unless it was needed for the system, and
> usually I'd disable module loading completely (though you can't do this
> with asterisk unfortunately).

I second all of that. Much better to go with something like debian and start
with a minimal install, then only add what you need. IMO Fedora on a
production box is asking for trouble. Any distro that does a major release
every 4-6 months is going to have problems now and then, and since you dont'
need all the new stuff that goes into a distro like fedora, why run it?
Stick with something that doesn't change a whole lot and is fairly
conservative.

Chris