[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk Crashing (high load issues)

Kyle Hagan info at quadrasoftware.com
Fri Nov 11 11:25:47 MST 2005

>Why would you have all those modules loaded on an asterisk server?? Do
>you *REALLY* even have a PCMCIA slot on your server? Do you need USB? Or
>parallel port? Do you use IPv6 with asterisk (not supported AFAIK)??
>even bluetooth and stuff is running!

I know I need to remove alot of things, and am working on it.. It was
installed when I installed Fedora, even though I removed alot of things,
some were installed anyway.

>I'd also not use any crappy fake hardware raid, I've found either proper
>hardware raid cards, or else linux software raid (MD driver) works best.

And it is REALhardware RAID. Not crappy fake..

>Also, keep in mind that the fact that your old server can cope with the
>load (albeit slowly) yet your new server crashes, then the fault is
>(imho) clearly somewhere other than digium hardware/asterisk. I would be
>looking at areas such as hardware faults, linux kernel faults with your
>specific hardware, etc. I'd be doing various stress tests on the various
>components to try to make it crash.

I talked with Digium support today, their support is great. And found a
few things we can change to help. They are
sending me new updated cards with newer firmware to fix some load
issues. We have tried these 2 cards in several NEWLY build servers and
all have crashed. We are going to test them by swapping them into the
server that doesnot crash to see if it is in fact the cards, even though
they are replacing them, just to be sure.

>Have you tried it with a straight linux kernel from kernel.org ?? What
>versions?

No.

>Have you tried it with a non-SMP kernel from kernel.org and/or your
>distro?

No

>Have you tried a nice, simple, distro like debian? IMHO, I found redhat,
>etc make too many customisations even to simple things like the kernel,
>so even when I used to use redhat, I always used my own kernel without
>any of their patches etc. One thing I always did was to not compile
>anything into the kernel unless it was needed for the system, and
>usually I'd disable module loading completely (though you can't do this
>with asterisk unfortunately).

I have tried Debian, same crash, on another server. I will try other
kernels to see if that helps.
We did find an IRQ conflict on the server with the vidoe card, but we
are not running xserver, we are working out that problem too.

>Just my 10c worth ...

I really appreciate your help, it will be used.
Thanks,
Kyle