[Asterisk-Users] iax2 config sanity check

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Wed Nov 9 01:04:08 MST 2005

Brian May wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Based on my reading and understanding of the documentation, in
> extensions.conf all I need is:
>
> exten => _5XXX,1,Dial(IAX2/ivt/${EXTEN})
>
> As asterisk will look up the rest of the configuration in iax.conf:
>
> --- cut ---
> [ivt]
> username=microcomaustralia
> type=friend
> host=dynamic
> context=default
> host=202.91.207.49
> permit=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
> auth=rsa
> inkeys=ivt
> outkey=microcomaustralia
> --- cut ---
>
> However this doesn't work - I get no packets whatsoever getting sent to
> 202.91.207.49. In fact no packets I have observed look related in
> anyway.
>
> Asterisk displays:
>
>     -- Starting simple switch on 'Zap/1-1'
>     -- Executing Dial("Zap/1-1", "IAX2/ivt/5999") in new stack
>     -- Called ivt/5999
>
> [ pause until I hang up ]
>
>     -- Hungup 'IAX2/ivt/1'
>     == Spawn extension (international, 5999, 1) exited
>        non-zero on 'Zap/1-1'
>
> It seems that I have to include the full IP address and key in the Dial
> instruction. Then it works.
>
>>From memory if I wait long enough it will timeout, but the timeout error
> doesn't help track the problem down.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

The username and the peer name aren't the same thing.  There is some
ambiguity floating around as to just how the syntax parses out fully.

Use the username, microcomaustralia (ugh.  that name is too long) in
front of the peer name, e.g. IAX2/microcomaustralia at ivt/5999 and see how
that works out.  Assuming 5999 is the extension you want to reach at the
other end.

> Any help before I pull all my hair out would be much appreciated.

You shouldn't be pulling your hair out even if nobody answers your
emails.  Just play around with the different parts of the dialstring and
watch the CLI.  It's fun.

B.