[Asterisk-Users] CentOS vs. Vanilla Kernel

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Mon Nov 7 12:19:05 MST 2005

Ryan Amos <ramos at finetooth.com> wrote:
> The default CentOS kernel has worked fine for me.
> Just an FYI; CentOS uses the RedHat EL kernel source to
> build... It's pretty heavily patched so if you want to use
> the latest stable, download the SRPMs from RedHat/CentOS
> and patch in the kernel.org patches.

It would be easier to patch in those patches already merged
in the Rawhide (Fedora Development) kernels.  Especially if
you rebuild from SRPM proper.

Just a clarification, I'm not advocating using the Rawhide
kernels.  If there is one place where Fedora
Development/Core/Legacy differ heavily with Red Hat
Enterprise Linux, it's at the kernel.  But the patches from
Rawhide kernels would probably be a far better fit for the
RHEL kernels.

> But yeah, stick with the CentOS kernel unless you have
> problems.

Agreed.  Way too much is added/removed/changed.