[Asterisk-Users] Codec - pay for and to whom?

Ronald Wiplinger ronald at elmit.com
Mon May 30 21:30:50 MST 2005

Kristian Kielhofner wrote:

> Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
>
>> I read that Digium is selling g.729 codec, but the other codec not.
>>
>> I wonder, why to pay to Digium for g.729, but not for the others.
>>
>> Is a Codec an open standard, that everybody can use? I am confused.
>>

>> bye
>>
>> Ronald
>

> Ronald,
>
>     G729 (and G723) and covered under patents in the US and elsewhere.
> This is a subject of great debate here (and elsewhere), and usually
> can cause some major flamefests and rants about patent laws, treaties,
> etc.

Please do not misunderstand me, it is not if and how much I should pay,
I am just confused about that one has to be paid for and the other one
not. I believe that both have a patent. I also believe that Digium, even
they make g729 available for Asterisk, will need to pay to the patent
holders.

I don't want to stress the list too much about this issue, can you guide
me to some readings about that?
Google found for my life expectation to many documents to read ;-)

bye

Ronald

--
Ronald Wiplinger  (CEO of ELMIT)
http://www.elmit.com    +886 (0) 939--77-55-16  or FWD 511208

PS: Spam prevention!
Our system is protected with a spam prevention program.
If you send us an e-mail, our system will send you a confirmation message back. Just reply to this confirmation message please.
After receiving this confirmation message, our system will send the hold message (one) and all future messages (after the received confirmation message) to me without asking you again.