[Asterisk-Users] Codec - pay for and to whom?

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Mon May 30 22:28:45 MST 2005

Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
> Kristian Kielhofner wrote:
>
>> Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
>>
>>> I read that Digium is selling g.729 codec, but the other codec not.
>>>
>>> I wonder, why to pay to Digium for g.729, but not for the others.
>>>
>>> Is a Codec an open standard, that everybody can use? I am confused.
>>>

>>> bye
>>>
>>> Ronald
>>

>> Ronald,
>>
>>     G729 (and G723) and covered under patents in the US and elsewhere.
>> This is a subject of great debate here (and elsewhere), and usually
>> can cause some major flamefests and rants about patent laws, treaties,
>> etc.
>

> Please do not misunderstand me, it is not if and how much I should pay,
> I am just confused about that one has to be paid for and the other one
> not. I believe that both have a patent. I also believe that Digium, even
> they make g729 available for Asterisk, will need to pay to the patent
> holders.
>
> I don't want to stress the list too much about this issue, can you guide
> me to some readings about that?
> Google found for my life expectation to many documents to read ;-)
>

> bye
>
> Ronald

	Check this:

http://www.sipro.com/faq.php

	And then go buy some licenses! :)

	I believe some of the money goes to Digium, and some goes back to
VoiceAge/Sipro.  Some of the other license/patent people on the list
could tell you more (or you could just search the archives - it gets
brought up on an almost monthly basis).

--
Kristian Kielhofner