[Asterisk-Users] Codec - pay for and to whom?

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Mon May 30 21:16:32 MST 2005

Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
> I read that Digium is selling g.729 codec, but the other codec not.
>
> I wonder, why to pay to Digium for g.729, but not for the others.
>
> Is a Codec an open standard, that everybody can use? I am confused.
>

> bye
>
> Ronald

Ronald,

	G729 (and G723) and covered under patents in the US and elsewhere.
This is a subject of great debate here (and elsewhere), and usually can
cause some major flamefests and rants about patent laws, treaties, etc.

	The simple is this: buy g729 licenses (and support Asterisk) from
Digium here:

http://store.yahoo.com/asteriskpbx/asteriskg729.html

--
Kristian Kielhofner