[Asterisk-Users] two isdn cards

Emanuele Pucciarelli ep at acm.org
Mon May 23 09:08:43 MST 2005

Stankiewicz Michael wrote:
> thanks a lot,
> i've googled around hunting for an answer to my biggest doubt: the
> cross-cable.
> i understand that it looks like an cat-5 cross-cable and how it has to
> be done, but ... why 8 wires ?

The plug is a standard RJ45 one, but only the 4 inner wires are used.
Sometimes you need the outer wires to carry power, but I believe you
shouldn't cross them.

I strongly suggest that you do NOT use the T1 cable schemes, since they
do not have much to do with the S0 BRI bus.  The link I mentioned in the
last message (isdn.jolly.de) carries the information you need, and I can
assure you it works (without even the NT).

If you connect a "live" NT (hooked to the central office) to Asterisk to
access your ISDN line, then you are going to use a card in TE mode,
without any special configuration, and a normal, off-the-shelf ISDN cable.

Regards,

--
Emanuele