[Asterisk-Users] DHCP available?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu May 19 16:43:10 MST 2005

Ronald Wiplinger wrote:

> A PHP program could find the remote address and the remote proxy
> address. I guess a java program could find out what IP addresses the
> user has and what neighbor addresses the users has (arp) and the java
> program could make a DHCP request. If the user just submit his data
> (findings of the Java), than we would know, if he is using DHCP.

That's a really bad idea.  For example on a cable system the provider
may allow only one DHCP request per mac address.  The provider would
then release the IP address that the user is using in favour of the new
one, thus breaking his connection.

(Actually, worse, it could break AUP by pretending to be more than one
device connected to the cable modem).

I'd be quite upset if a java program did this.

> Short is there something available, where the user can easy find out if
> he has DHCP?

Why is this information relevant?  It tells you nothing about the
connection itself - certainly not whether the IP address is dynamic as
DHCP can equally give out static addresses.

And what if the connection is over PPP?  This is not DHCP although it
behaves like it in some ways.  Your test would fail in that case.

Tony