[Asterisk-Users] DHCP available?

Ronald Wiplinger ronald at elmit.com
Thu May 19 19:09:20 MST 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Ronald Wiplinger wrote:
>
>> A PHP program could find the remote address and the remote proxy
>> address. I guess a java program could find out what IP addresses the
>> user has and what neighbor addresses the users has (arp) and the java
>> program could make a DHCP request. If the user just submit his data
>> (findings of the Java), than we would know, if he is using DHCP.
>

> That's a really bad idea.  For example on a cable system the provider
> may allow only one DHCP request per mac address.  The provider would
> then release the IP address that the user is using in favour of the
> new one, thus breaking his connection.

Hmm, I have never heard about that, but as far as I expierenced with
DHCP you would be assigned the same IP address.

> (Actually, worse, it could break AUP by pretending to be more than one
> device connected to the cable modem).
>
> I'd be quite upset if a java program did this.
>
>> Short is there something available, where the user can easy find out
>> if he has DHCP?
>

> Why is this information relevant?  It tells you nothing about the
> connection itself - certainly not whether the IP address is dynamic as
> DHCP can equally give out static addresses.
>
> And what if the connection is over PPP?  This is not DHCP although it
> behaves like it in some ways.  Your test would fail in that case.

I need to setup the phone before I give it to the user. However, if the
user tells me just, I have Internt - ADSL / Cable I cannot set it up.
Most of the time, they have ONE PPPoE connection. Usually I can guess
that by asking how many computers they have connected to the Internet.
But there is also the flavor of 8 dynamic PPPoE available, ...
So the simplest approach is to give him a broadband router as option
which can connect to PPPoE, Cable or Fix IP. This device gives him DHCP
and the phone works.

bye

Ronald