[Asterisk-Users] MEETME core uses ulaw?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Thu May 19 12:53:58 MST 2005

Dan Morin wrote:
> Thank you both for your responses.  From looking at the app_conference
> page in the wiki, it seems as though it is best used for one or two
> speakers and everyone else just listening.  Unfortunately, my company
> likes to have conferences with 15 or so people and everyone can talk.

There is no way to bridge (mix) compressed audio streams together. They
must be decompressed into some simple audio format, mixed, and then
recompressed.

app_conference can do a little better when all the callers are using the
same codec and only one is speaking, because then it does not need to
mix the audio together. Anytime mixing is required, though, the audio is
going to be transcoded.