[Asterisk-Users] MEETME core uses ulaw?

Dan Morin DMorin at ABBCOInc.com
Wed May 4 18:02:28 MST 2005

Thank you both for your responses.  From looking at the app_conference
page in the wiki, it seems as though it is best used for one or two
speakers and everyone else just listening.  Unfortunately, my company
likes to have conferences with 15 or so people and everyone can talk.

Am I just reading into the example too much?  Will it allow many
speakers?

Does anyone have experience with app_conference that would be able to
comment on its effectiveness?

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of BJ Weschke
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 4:36 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] MEETME core uses ulaw?

 I was going to recommend the same to him last night, but then I
started digging into the code there and realized they were transcoding
back to LINEAR at their core as well. Now they're not passing that
back through a ZapTel psuedo channel like app_meetme does, but I'd be
interested to see if that fixes the delay issue discussed.

On 5/4/05, mattf <mattf at vicimarketing.com> wrote:
> Look at the app_conference description on the wiki:
> http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20app_conference
>
> I believe it does what you want to do, but I really don't know if it
works
> with CVS_HEAD or stable releases. I'd be curious to hear how it
affects
> performance as well.
>
> MATT---

Morin
> Sent: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 10:26 PM
> To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
> Subject: [Asterisk-Users] MOH Core uses ulaw...
>
> I'm trying to get Asterisk setup as a conference bridge.  When I
originally
> tried MeetMe, I was using GSM and as the conference got longer, the
delay
> got worse and worse.  From my research, I assumed that it was because
MeetMe
> uses ulaw at its core, so everything is getting transcoded twice and
each
> instant adds more and more delay to the cycle.  To test this, I
changed all
> of my connections to ulaw and now I get very minimal delay.
>
> However, this is not acceptable for me.  I'm anticipating most of my
meeting
> attendees to come in over my VoIP connection and if this voip line is
using
> ulaw, it will significantly reduce the number of simultaneous users
that my
> internet connection can handle.
>
> So, it seems to me that I need to change the core codec of MeetMe to
> something like GSM so that I can get OK call quality, while getting
the most
> out of my Internet connection.  Does anyone know how to do this?  Am I
on
> the right track or way off with this one?
>
> Is anyone using MeetMe with GSM or any other non ulaw codec and not
having a
> problem?
>
> Also (sorry so many questions) I'm not thrilled with GSM or iLBC.  I
know
> there are a lot of people who like G.729...what are the costs involved
with
> using this one?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Dan