[Asterisk-Users] Fax service (instead of tdm card)

Terje Elde terje at elde.net
Fri May 13 15:38:16 MST 2005

Hi all,

Sorry if this is too far off-topic, it sounds potentially interesting to
others though.  I'll be brief.

Rich Adamson wrote:
> I gave up (for now) trying to make spandsp work with the digium TDM
> card. Instead, I signed up with www.trustfax.com at a cost of $9.95
> per year plus $.10/page.  Since we only deal with an estimated 120
> pages per year, the total cost of about $22/year seemed like a very
> reasonable alternative. (At least until we can find out why the TDM
> card does not function properly with spandsp.)

There seem to be a lot of these companies popping up and going away
again, each with their own limits and flaws.  TrustFax for example, only
allows you to fax North American numbers.

For the occasions when Fax is still used, in my experience, it tends to
be issues where it's either confidential (fax often feels more secure
than email), or time critical.  I'd hate to rely on the timely delivery
of a fax, only to find out that TrustFax bounced my email because they
didn't want to fax the country I wanted to send to.

If someone has a suggestion of a company providing a reliable fax
service, that's been around for a while, and will fax to most countries,
please let me know off list.

Perfect solution would perhaps be something based on IPP and Postscript,
to avoid a lot of conversion/formating issues.

Flames can also be directed to my personal inbox.

If I get a few decent suggestions (and not too many flames for being
off-topic), I'll post a quick review of the different offerings.

Terje