[Asterisk-Users] Interconnecting two lans using Asterisk over a PSTN

Josiah Bryan jbryan at productiveconcepts.com
Tue May 10 06:00:24 MST 2005

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 8:50 am, Brice Muangkhot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a newbie in Asterisk IP PBX but I am very impressed by its
> functionalities.
> I have read that It can work over IP network and across the PSTN.
> I am not very sure how it works over the PSTN..
> In case if people have not yet the Internet or SDL access, I would like
> just to know if it is possible to interconnect two IP LANs using the
> traditionnal analog Network and Asterisk PBX? In such I would like to send
> voice and data in the same media and all my IP applications should work, it
> is like the PPP IP link over PSTN I would like to have.
>
> If one have an Internet/SDL access is it possible to have a dual access, in
> such if one network fails, I can switch automatically to another?
> Here below the network architecture I imagine.
>
> (IP LAN1)-ASTERISK-(Digium FXO card)<-->(PSTN)<-->(Digium FXO
> Card)-ASTERISK-(IP LAN 2)

I'm not sure _exactly_ what you mean...but wouldn't it be simpler just to use
two modems to tie each lan together - maybe even have the modems in the
Asterisk box and then use standard linux stuff to do the routing of the
packets - no asterisk _needs_ to be involved - the packets could be iax
trunks or whatever, but the actual bridging of the the lans doesn't need
asterisk, just two modems and a NIC in the server on either end.

Something like this:

(IP LAN1)<->LINUX+MODEM<---->(PSTN)<---->LINUX+MODEM<->(IP LAN2)

And on LAN1 or LAN2 could be an Asterisk server, or a web server, or whatever
- the linux servers with the modems just do standard routing...

At least, i think thats what your asking..

-josiah

--
Josiah Bryan
IT Coordinator