[Asterisk-Users] Are there online forums instead of this email

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at ykoz.net
Thu Mar 31 14:20:02 MST 2005

bass at silkroad.com wrote:

>Any decent on-line forum would be much better than these digium email lists.  The lists are
> poorly formatted,

They look fine in my mail client.

>there is no easy way to post code

Yes there is. Cut, paste, indent. Or if it's too big, put it up
somewhere and paste in a hyperlink...

>You cannot neatly quote anyone,

Yes you can. Look, I quote you neatly!

> the search function in the archive is elementary at best,

site:<whatever_mailing_list_archive> my search terms

In google does wonders.

>there is no possibility for active users to moderate their area of interest,

Why should there be? If *you* don't like what I say, then *you* can
killfile me. I don't see why *you*, or anyone else, should have the
right to "moderate" (read: censor) what I have to say to others.

This kind of openness is the strength of mailing list and I admire
digium for preserving it - even when there's posts against their
self-interest (for example about Sangoma cards).

I don't want any of this potential policing. It's dreadful, it sucks,
and it's contrary to the gentle "anarchist world of small despots" open
source spirit.

>there is no private messaging,

Yes there is. It's called 'email'.

>the list goes on and on.

That's right - The mailing list goes on.

>I highly and kindly suggest that Digium transition off these email list and into a good, commercial, on line forum, like vBulletin (www.vbulletin.com).   I just joined this list and am amazed at how much traffic there is, how poorly formatted the messages are, how so many different topics are lumped into one list, etc.

Well it might be a good idea to split asterisk-users into different
topics of interest... you know, like asterisk-zap, asterisk-sip,
asterisk-iax might be an example of such a split. Now you have to find
clever topics of interest...

>As someone who has administered the UNIX Forums for many years, and with over 28 thousand registered users, I have seen how great an on-line, forum-based community can become.

Yeah. Let's stick some phpbb and have smiley faces and HTML markup all
over. With blinking images please - j00 n00b - j00r n|ck d0n7 bl|nk!

>A GOOD ON-LINE FORUM IS TO EMAIL LISTS WHAT THE WORLD WIDE WEB WAS TO GOPHER.

Incidentally, gopher was really good and unlike the web, it could _not_
go wrong. There's just /so many/ crappy sites out there (in fact most of
them suck) and even /more/ crappy web forums, it's unbelievable.

Anyway I don't see why it shouldn't be possible to have both a mailing
list and a web forum...

>In other words, Digium is only hurting this community by not transitioning these lists to a good on-line community building software product.

I beg to differ...

--
Ykoz Un Max - La VoIP en pré-payé!
Essayez gratuitement - 5 crédits offerts.