[Asterisk-Users] Are there online forums instead of this email

Dale dale-list at lightwavetech.com
Thu Mar 31 13:32:32 MST 2005

Hello,

----- Original Message -----
From: <bass at silkroad.com>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Are there online forums instead of this email

> Any decent on-line forum would be much better than these digium email
lists.  The lists are
>  poorly formatted,

Email is text.

> there is no easy way to post code, you cannot neatly quote anyone, the s
> earch function in the archive is elementary at best, there is no
possibility for active use
> rs to moderate their area of interest, there is no private messaging,

I can send a private message to anyone on the list - not sure how this is an
issue. Why use another program when just sending an email to the person you
wish to communicate with works faster and easier. I don't need to use a
third party website to do so.

> the list goes on and on.
>
> I highly and kindly suggest that Digium transition off these email list
and into a good, commercial, on line forum, like vBulletin
(www.vbulletin.com).   I just joined this list and am amazed at how much
traffic there is, how poorly formatted the messages are, how so many
different topics are lumped into one list, etc.

Personally I prefer mailing lists. That way the messages are delivered to
me, I don't have to go someplace and hunt and search for one category or
possibly be chastized for posting in the wrong area and hope someone that
may have a suggestion for my problem sees my forum post. Each person of
course has different preferences, I tend to prefer mailing lists - coupled
with a good email client I like better. That way I can delete what is of no
interest to me and organize messages they way I prefer, not the way a forum
insists on.

> As someone who has administered the UNIX Forums for many years, and with
over 28 thousand registered users, I have seen how great an on-line,
forum-based community can become.   This is a great community and Digium
needs to leverage the energy and the power with a good on-line forum
software, like vBulletin.

They have - this mailing list :)

> Association:
>
> A GOOD ON-LINE FORUM IS TO EMAIL LISTS WHAT THE WORLD WIDE WEB WAS TO
GOPHER.

Respectfully disagree with you on this :)

> In other words, Digium is only hurting this community by not transitioning
these lists to a good on-line community building software product.

Many apparently feel differently - From some of the other posts here, it
appears the folks at Digium have stated they have no intention of starting a
forum.  Maybe you could start a forum for the list and feed the mailing list
into the forum. That way you could sort things the way you want and others
that prefer forums might come join your effort.

But isn't it great that we can all have differing opinions and still have
common interests? It looks like most prefer email lists, most importantly,
it seems Digium prefers a list. Personally I hope it stays that way.

Regards

Dale