[Asterisk-Users] Are there online forums instead of this email

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Mar 31 14:46:36 MST 2005

On March 31, 2005 01:19 pm, bass at silkroad.com wrote:
> Any decent on-line forum would be much better than these digium email
> lists.  The lists are poorly formatted, there is no easy way to post code,
> you cannot neatly quote anyone, the s earch function in the archive is
> elementary at best, there is no possibility for active use rs to moderate
> their area of interest, there is no private messaging, the list goes on and
> on.

Are you on crack?

Posting code is simple.  Just post it.
Quoting? You gotta be kidding, get a BASIC email client, what are you using,
telnet?
Private messaging?  Send the email to the person, not the list.
Moderation?  Are you a child?  Do you need to be moderated?

> I highly and kindly suggest that Digium transition off these email list and
> into a good, commercial, on line forum, like vBulletin (www.vbulletin.com).

Feel free to do it yourself.  Nobody's stopping you.

>   I just joined this list and am amazed at how much traffic there is, how
> poorly formatted the messages are, how so many different topics are lumped
> into one list, etc.

Use a threading email client.  Thunderbird works.  Kmail can do it.  Stop
using Outlook.

> As someone who has administered the UNIX Forums for many years, and with
> over 28 thousand registered users, I have seen how great an on-line,
> forum-based community can become.   This is a great community and Digium
> needs to leverage the energy and the power with a good on-line forum
> software, like vBulletin.

Excellent, you sound like the perfect person to start up a web forum and show
us how good it can be.  Have at it.

-A.