[Asterisk-Users] Sangoma VS. Digium

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Thu Mar 31 01:56:39 MST 2005

Isamar Maia wrote:

> I don't understand this *love* for Digium. Digium is a commercial
> institution, period.

Yes, but.  They are a commercial institution which took an enormous risk
by giving away for free what is undeniably their most valuable product.

It was a gamble, as it were, of the family jewels.  Compare for a moment
with Cisco, whose software, as is famously seen written up on this very
list, "nickels and dimes" its customers to death.

> But to protect them specially in my case  since I am in Japan and Digium
> products don't(and it seems that will never) have any support for NTT
> lines, is kinda no sense.

The kinda sense of it is that many of us believe that we are furthering
the cause of Asterisk development by indeed giving preferential
treatment to Digium, in those cases where it can be done economically.
    It's an investment in the future of Asterisk.

It's called "voting with your pocketbook."

> I would better support the Asterisk Fork development that seems to be
> happening in the underground. BTW, anybody knows their mailing list?
>
> I'll be glad to contribute.

I do know the address of one such list, and I monitor it assiduously,
reading every message because my interest in Asterisk is pretty absolute.

If I recall correctly, the last mail on that list was either the third
or fourth mail that was sent, a couple of days after the list was
established, back a couple of months.  As far as I know nothing has
happened, at all, since then.

Forks are cheap.  Talking about forks is even cheaper.  Forks that
appear to be actual improvements over the current Asterisk
codebase--nothwithstanding the criticism it receives--appear to be, for
now, a null set.

I'm sorry you have trouble understanding this.  I feel that for many of
us it is pretty clear.

Thanks.

b.