[Asterisk-Users] Look at that Digium Broadband Modem!

Remco Barende asterisk at barendse.to
Fri Mar 25 23:47:13 MST 2005

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, Jay Milk wrote:

>> I don't have any IAXy's but do have Sipura SPA-2000's most of
>> them get really hot (what is it with this equipment??).
>
> My SPA-2000s run "warm" to the touch, 80-90 degrees at most.  That's not
> terrible.  If yours run hotter, stop calling those college coeds.  But
> all seriousness aside, my concern with the IAXys running hot is the
> equal amount of reports I hear about crashed/unresponsive IAXys.

Correct, but I've also seen many reports that replacing the power cube of
the IAXy with one that can provide ample power did solve the problems and
even resurrected 'dead' IAXY's. On the temp : I guess you're talking
Fahrenheit, at 80-90 degrees Celsius I'd be really worried :) But it's
still too hot to my liking, the lifetime of many components isn't
prolonged by such temperatures. I also do create groups of Sipura's where
I have 4-5 units on a shelf (because it is 1/3 of the price tag of a real
solution) and then a lot of heat is dissipated.

>> That doesn't make the IAXy a lesser choice for me, other than
>> that the price is quite high compared to other ATA's.
>
> Gosh, I wouldn't even mind paying the $120 price-tag that nextalarm puts
> on the IAXy.  The $50 price-difference over an SPA-1000, or even $20
> over the "original" IAXy is a small amount compared to the cost of the
> security system we have in here.

Agreed, but the IAXy was intended to be a general purpose ATA, for
applications like this the cost is nothing.

> What a silly thing to say :)  Even the cheapest $25 UPS will run DSL,
> switch and IAXy for more than the UL-required four hours.  I'd be more
> concerned about the DSL line being unplugged in the dmarq box outside.
> I put a padlock on mine, but that's only an extra five seconds with a
> bolt-cutter.  Might be a good spot for a tamper-switch, but even if that
> gets tripped, the alarm won't have a chance to complete the call to the
> central station.
>
> As for the uptime of DSL, how has yours been?  Mine's been running for
> almost three years with no more than a few hours of downtime.  I doubt
> it would add up to a full day -- and one day in three years gives you
> three nines.

Ever since I switched from cable to DSL uptime has been great but there
are just more single points of failure for a VOIP connection. I'm just
waiting for SIP GSM bridges to become available for a nominal fee, that
really makes an ideal bakcup line for alarm and phone systems. A SIP
device can be had for the price of a hamburger and a cell phone for the
price of the coke to come with it. Too bad a combination of the two is
priced around USD 1500 (and I don't want a bridge with POTS).