[Asterisk-Users] Look at that Digium Broadband Modem!

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Fri Mar 25 23:36:29 MST 2005

> I don't have any IAXy's but do have Sipura SPA-2000's most of
> them get really hot (what is it with this equipment??).

My SPA-2000s run "warm" to the touch, 80-90 degrees at most.  That's not
terrible.  If yours run hotter, stop calling those college coeds.  But
all seriousness aside, my concern with the IAXys running hot is the
equal amount of reports I hear about crashed/unresponsive IAXys.

> That doesn't make the IAXy a lesser choice for me, other than
> that the price is quite high compared to other ATA's.

Gosh, I wouldn't even mind paying the $120 price-tag that nextalarm puts
on the IAXy.  The $50 price-difference over an SPA-1000, or even $20
over the "original" IAXy is a small amount compared to the cost of the
security system we have in here.

> Any technical queries aside, I think this is a *very* cool
> application for the IAXy (or other ATAs).

Agree 100%.

> The fact that they are constantly monitoring the device would give me
> sufficient reassurance that it's working.

I'm not worried about monitoring... They can keep tabs on the
registration and chat with the IAXy every so often.  No doubt they're
using Asterisk on their end.  My concern would be what they'd do when it
stops working and nobody is home.

> I would just be worried about the uptime of my DSL line and the
influence of power outages
> which would kill my DSL modem, my switch and the IAXy.

What a silly thing to say :)  Even the cheapest $25 UPS will run DSL,
switch and IAXy for more than the UL-required four hours.  I'd be more
concerned about the DSL line being unplugged in the dmarq box outside.
I put a padlock on mine, but that's only an extra five seconds with a
bolt-cutter.  Might be a good spot for a tamper-switch, but even if that
gets tripped, the alarm won't have a chance to complete the call to the
central station.

As for the uptime of DSL, how has yours been?  Mine's been running for
almost three years with no more than a few hours of downtime.  I doubt
it would add up to a full day -- and one day in three years gives you
three nines.