FW: [Asterisk-Users] polycom 500 help!!

Don Murray asterisk at geeksrus.ca
Wed Mar 23 17:43:58 MST 2005

Noah Silverman wrote:

> Dean,
>
> I appreciate the suggestion.  Is it really necessary.
> I've got slackware already installed on the box. (I consider myself a
> bit of a Linux guru.), all the drivers, and Asterisk.  Everything
> seems to work fine, EXCEPT getting it to talk to the extension.
> wouldn't it be easier/faster to just adjust a few settings than to
> re-initialize my entire box.

Noah,

Dean pointed me towards Asterisk at Home too and I too was skeptical at
first.  I have to say, even though
- I'm still having my Asterisk "issues" (i.e. not everything is working
for me)
- and I'm a bit of a Linux guru
- and I had asterisk working with some primitive extensions on my own,
pretty much exactly where you are just a smidge further...

I would recommend using Asterisk at Home.  What Dean told me (and I tend to
believe him) is that having a box that multi-tasks (i.e. run asterisk
and also does some other linux server tasks) is a very bad idea as you
will have problems.  So, if you go with the premise that your box will
an asterisk box and thats it, then using Asterisk at Home is not an issue
as far as stomping over whatever other Linux setup you have.

I would recommend you give it a try if you can afford to have your
current system wiped, just to see what it is like.  It certainly takes a
lot of the "programming your dialplan" issues away - although there are
still plenty of configs to tweak I'm finding.

Next, about your Polycom 500.  I've got a couple of those that were
working (although I appear to have busted my setup just recently).  What
I found is that you should tell your phone to not register and then it
worked for me.

Do you have your ftp-server set-up and are you using the latest firmware
and sip versions?

Don