[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk, SER & Jabber

Gustavo García ggb at tid.es
Mon Mar 21 17:56:23 MST 2005

Asterisk & SER are (more or less) SIP servers  and Jabber is a completly
different protocol.  There are no relation between jabber and Asterisk/SER.

Jabber provides Instant Messaging and Presence and SIP also provide that
funtionality and includes general session management (for example for
telephony or videoconference).

If you want Instant Messaging with jabber you can user Jabberd server.  If
you want Instant Messaging with SIP you can use SER.    SER includes a
gateway for interoperability with jabber servers (convert SIP messages in
Jabber messages), but usually you don't need it.

Asterisk is not oriented to instant messaging and presence, it's oriented to
telephony and telephony services.

In a typical instant messaging deployment you can use Jabber because it's
more extended than SIP today for that purpouse.  In a typical
telephony/videoconference deployment you can use SER/Asterisk, and also
provide basic instant messaging and presence.

I hope these comments help you.

G.

  _____