[Asterisk-Users] VoIP service through Asterisk?

Sean Kennedy skennedy at tpno-co.org
Mon Mar 21 07:39:47 MST 2005

Peter Loron wrote:

> Greetings. I did some digging with Google, the wiki, and on the
> archives, but didn't find a recent conclusive answer. If this is
> answered in the wiki or archives somewhere, please point me to it.
>
> I'm in the process of setting up an Asterisk box for home use. I've
> got a X100P card on the way. I've not decided what analog adapter(s)
> to get yet. The only phone service to hook up is currently POTS.
>
> I'm interested in integrating a VoIP provider into the system (using
> it as a service for inbound and outbound calls). I understand that I
> can use Broadvoice (BYOD plan), however I'm also considering other
> providers.
>
> Other than Broadvoice, are there any VoIP providers (Vonage, Packet8,
> etc) that can be hooked into Asterisk directly? I read about a scheme
> for Packet8 that involved routing it in through an analog connection
> on a FXO port...I'd rather have something I can connect in directly.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Pete

Hi Pete,

I use the Voicepulse Connect! service, and I don't have any issues with
it.  It *is* a bit pricy ( ~3 cents a minute, 7.99 a month for an
incoming number ), but I get great voice quality, and I have yet to have
an instance where I *can't* dial a number.  However, for reference,
excluding the incoming number charge, I think I've paid 6 bucks over the
past three months in call charges.  Your milage will vary of course, but
one thing to keep in mind:  You don't pay for 1-8xx numbers.  So for a
business, this would be an awsome plan.

And yes, they have direct iax connections.  Given my relative "noob"
status, I wouldn't bother with anything else.  :)

Sean

ps- I don't know if the other services let you do this, but voicepulse
lets you set your own callerid.  Which is, for me, a deal breaker.