[Asterisk-Users] create distinctive ring on FXS

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Mar 19 17:18:32 MST 2005

> I use Asterisk at home to filter the annoying people before they get a real voice. So
basically if you don't know the extension of one of the occupants you have no choice but leave a
message.  Works well... perhaps I miss some improtant calls, but if you leave no message it must
not be important!

> Anyhow, I would like to be able to make the phone ring distinctively depending on who the call
is suppose to go too(wife, teenagers, myself). I was thinking of buying a single Iaxy to do this
but I cannot see from the specs if I could do this.  If I cannot  does any of you have an idea
on how to achieve this goal without spending a lot of money(such has 4 Iaxy modules + 3 new
phones).

> Another way I thought of doing this is by making the user dial a specific internal extention
to bridge the person on hold on the FXO side to the internal user?

Some phones/adapters support distinctive ringing while others don't.

I use the spa3k (fxs port) to reach house phones with something like:
 exten => 3020,1,SetVar(_ALERT_INFO=bellcore-r3) ; selects Ringer
to ring the phones with two short rings for certain calls.

The nice thing about the spa3k is that you _can_ independently handle
incoming fxo calls from a pstn line and calls to the fxs port. It's
not all that easy to program however.

In my case, all house phones are attached to the fxs port. Therefore,
one could have about five different distinctive rings. I'd be fairly
certain the spa2000 (etc) has that same capabiity as well.