[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom vs. Cisco IP Phones

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Sat Mar 19 09:18:58 MST 2005

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005, Christopher Jacob wrote:

[Deleted]

> So, the moral of this story....
>
> While Polycom may not offer configuration type support for asterisk, they
> stand by their hardware. With Cisco you have to shop around to find a decent
> deal, and who know how you're going to get support. I don't mind using this
> list / the wiki / google / etc. for configuration type questions. After all
> I don't expect Super Micro to help me get FC running on one of their
> motherboards...

Disclaimer: I don't represent Polycom, Cisco or Digium. I represent the
community ;)

Two comments:

1. Based on VON and the contact I've had w/ Polycom's VP of Product
Marketing there, and their ensuing contact w/ Digium, you can be assured
that Polycom understands that their stance on the Asterisk community has
to change and that they are taking steps to correct their previous
behavior. I'm sure that there will be more "official" announcements about
this as things develop, but Polycom is very very very interested in
cutting through the corporate red-tape and getting Asterisk certified as
an interoperable platform. They have a "self certification" program that
vendors can use to flesh out issues and get on the approved list. Their
interest is in ensuring that the products work well together and that
their engineers have a clear line of communication with the vendors into
any technical difficulties. Previous to VON, the right people were not in
the mix. Now, that has been solved and there should be some momentum
building.

2. Cisco supports phones that are under maintenance contract. I've never
had an issue w/ cisco support on any product that had the requisite
Smartnet on it. If your going to use Cisco, make sure that you get phones
from a vendor that can provide the appropriate Smartnet. For three years,
8x5 Next Business Day replacement, it cost me about $21 / phone. 7960's
may be more difficult to get this on, but 7960G's shouldn't be a problem.

                             KP-216-121-ST