[Asterisk-Users] Re: Polycom vs. Cisco IP Phones

Christopher Jacob chris at jacob-solutions.com
Thu Mar 17 13:11:01 MST 2005

Oddly enough, I am in the middle of dealing with both a Cisco phone problem
and a Polycom phone problem. The Polycom problem I caused myself (oops
during a flash) and the Cisco problem came out of nowhere.

Polycom
During a flash upgrade I lost power (tripped over the cord) and the phone
was DEAD. I called polycom, gave them the serial number and they cross
shipped a brand new phone to me the next day. I was amazed. With the chatter
on this list I was gearing up for a fight.

Cisco
One of my users came to me to report that Cisco 7960 had gone belly up.
These phones always seemed pretty hearty to me, so I was surprised. I
checked it out and sure enough not only was it dead, but it would eat any
switch port I plugged it into. (seems it was sending power down the Ethernet
cable, which is not a good thing) I called Cisco and they said, well you
didn't buy it from us so contact the reseller. I contacted the reseller
(which is a prominent member of the asterisk community and sells a _bunch_
of asterisk related gear.

The first response via email was " It is very rare to have a problem with
one of these phones." So I email back and said, well it's only a few (less
than 6) months old, can I RMA it for a replacement.... No response

So I called, and got someone in Customer Service. He said, "oh well we don't
buy those phones from Cisco so they wont deal with us either. I will have to
contact our supplier and get back to you."

Fine, I thought....

Well a week later I had not received a call. So I called back today. He
apologized and promised that he would have an answer for me soon.

Now I'm not throwing anyone under the bus here. They are trying to make
things right. I am just using my experience as an example.

So, the moral of this story....

While Polycom may not offer configuration type support for asterisk, they
stand by their hardware. With Cisco you have to shop around to find a decent
deal, and who know how you're going to get support. I don't mind using this
list / the wiki / google / etc. for configuration type questions. After all
I don't expect Super Micro to help me get FC running on one of their
motherboards...

Just my thoughts....

~c

Message: 6