[Asterisk-Users] Help with Understanding CODEC

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 13:06:59 MST 2005

Neel,

if your * box only "shuffles" data between your provider and your
phones (or between phones) then it does not need to transcode from/to
G729 and hence you do not need a license.

However, if your phones are configured to anything other than what the
other end point uses, for example your provider uses G729 and your
phones are on G711, or the other way around, then * needs to transcode
and you will need a license for it to do so.

Finally, if you want * to be able to generate any audio by itself
(voice mail, menu, music on hold) then it needs the ability to
generate a G729 stream and hence you need a license.

Essentially whenever * needs to be able to "read" (transcode from) or
"write"/"generate" audio (transcode to) you need a license. Otherwise
you can get away without one.

Hope this helps... and please correct me if I'm wrong; I do not use G729 :-).

--Luki