[Asterisk-Users] Help with Understanding CODEC

Nitesh Divecha nitesh at vipernetworks.com
Fri Mar 18 10:29:47 MST 2005

Hello All,

Need some small help understanding the CODEC part of Asterisk and my
endpoints.

All my endpoints are Snom IP Phone and they come with G711a/u and G729A.

So far I got mix messages from people that if your endpoints got G729A or
G723 codec already, I don't need to buy any licensing for the CODECS.

But my question is "What about the server it self?" Because if I set my
priorities in the "sip.conf" file to use G723, G729 and rest disallow=all,
the voice stops working.

So in short I do need licensing for G723 and G729 to be installed on the
Asterisk box it self? And how many do I need?

Please help!

Neel