[Asterisk-Users] No ringback over IAX - LiveVoip

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sun Mar 13 07:00:52 MST 2005

> > If asterisk is going to be modified to support LiveVoip expectations,
> > then yet another Dial option would need to be implemented to
> > force ringback to occur as an audio stream for iax only. Guess
> > one could open a bug report for both LiveVoip and Asterisk, but
> > not likely to be addressed any time soon since this is itsp
> > dependent.
>
> This would actually be a good idea to to do, simply provide a switch
> different than 'r' that forces an audio string ringback.  Not only would it
> work for LiveVoip, but for other circumstances as well.
>
> Sure, one could argue that we're creating a band-aid for a problem that
> shouldn't have to exist, but hey, if it works then I don't see why not add
> it in.  People don't need to use the feature if they don't want to... :)

FWIW, I submitted a detailed description of the ringback problem to
support at livevoip.com this morning (March 13).

After personally analyzing the ringback issue (and without any feedback
from livevoip as yet), my best estimate is that livevoip is going to
consider this an asterisk issue as the call is considered "answered"
(due to asterisk's IVR answering the call), and that any further
ringing feedback should come from the end nodes (not from the middle-
man livevoip switch). That is basically how all real telephony (non-
voip providers) would handle such things.

That would imply that we'll need to submit a feature request for
asterisk to support some sort of inband ringback option selectable
by the asterisk implementor.

Rich