[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Mar 10 10:01:07 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 09:17 -0500, Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:
> On March 10, 2005 08:44 am, Walt Reed wrote:
> > Now one of our lead engineers has done some performance testing last
> > night for our
> > app and found MySQL to be 8 to 100 times faster for all but one of our
> > operations (combination of ~80% reads, 20% writes on the InnoDB table
> > type.) His testing basically increased the load until performance was
> > unacceptable.
>
> I'd *love* to see the particulars of that test.  It's been shown time and time
> again that postgres' speed CLOBBERS mysql for anything but the simplest
> selects, and that it can handle far more concurrent connections without
> slowing down.

This brings back the question of testing methodology. If the tester that
posted here only tested sequential queries, I could see MySQL showing
faster. A test that would probably show less of a gap is running
whatever testing app multiple time simultaneously as it will start
showing the ability to handle concurrent users.