[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Mar 10 07:17:11 MST 2005

On March 10, 2005 08:44 am, Walt Reed wrote:
> Now one of our lead engineers has done some performance testing last
> night for our
> app and found MySQL to be 8 to 100 times faster for all but one of our
> operations (combination of ~80% reads, 20% writes on the InnoDB table
> type.) His testing basically increased the load until performance was
> unacceptable.

I'd *love* to see the particulars of that test.  It's been shown time and time
again that postgres' speed CLOBBERS mysql for anything but the simplest
selects, and that it can handle far more concurrent connections without
slowing down.

Have you asked the folks on freenode #postgresql as well?

> This is with lots of optimizations on Postgres (the current DB for the
> app) and none on MySQL. Needless to say, we now need to re-evaluate our
> decision to move everything to Postgres.

It's quite possible your optimizations are buggering things up too.  I ran
into that.  :-)

-A.