[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

tim panton tpanton at attglobal.net
Sat Mar 12 04:10:50 MST 2005

list at ipmotel.net wrote:

> I know this is a bit off topic but we are using Asterisk  :)
>
> Since this list is full of tech gurus w/ all different sorts of
> backgrounds, I thought I would get the best opinions here.
>
> We have several different switches and other telecom equipment at our
> facilities which all have their own proprietary cdr platforms, which
> are rather limited. The company I work for is looking to develop their
> own in-house billing system that would combine cdr from all platforms
> and bring it into one big db, so we can do whatever we like w/ the
> data...billing, invoices, reports, asr...etc...
>
> So my question is this....
>
> What's the most stable, fastest & reliable database for this project?
> Call volume is about 8 to 10 million minutes per month, and we want to
> have 12 months of cdr available at any given time, anything older can
> be archived on tape.
> So what's the best db...oracle, ms sql, informix, mysql or something
> else?

At the risk of sounding like a closed source fan (I'm not) I do think
you should
at least consider Oracle for this job.
I built a system a few years ago which takes a constant stream of
entries from a number (<100)
of remote systems analizes them and generates reports
(see http://www.westpoint.ltd.uk/example-reports/reports/index.htm)

We use Oracle for it, and it has been great. Also they have improved the
weakest points:
    1) pricing - It is now _much_ cheaper than it was
    2) Install - I had a couple of oracle newbies install it in a couple
of hours, that was never possible
in the old days.

Once you have it there are _stacks_ of neat features and a really solid
performance.
I am especialy fond of the ability to put java into triggers (we send
SNMP traps to
ops console when specific error conditions occur on inserts) and the
whole oracle
Text and XML integration has saved me _months_ of development time on
various project.

My view is that if you are going to spend significant development time/money
on a big database project, you shouldn't rule oracle out 'cos of a 2k fee.

Tim.