[Asterisk-Users] Re: OT: Best DB

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Thu Mar 10 08:54:32 MST 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 04:39:25PM +0100, Tom Ivar Helbekkmo said:
> Walt Reed <asterisk at linuxguy.com> writes:
>
> > I would expect 8.x to be faster that 7.x, but I didn't see anything
> > in the release notes that would indicate a 1 to 2 orders of
> > magnitude performance increase.
>
> A few points concerning PostgreSQL and performance:
>
> - Each of the latest releases has improved performance quite a bit.
>
> - Out of the box, it is tuned for minimal resource use, and dismal
>   performance.  It really needs to be tuned.  Check out Josh Berkus's
>   web site, <http://www.powerpostgresql.com/>, for hints and tips.
>
> - Nothing helps much if your schema and your queries are suboptimal.
>   Think about how your data is used, consider what indexes you need,
>   rewrite slow queries to be smarter (use EXPLAIN).
>
> - Did I mention you need to tune the database system to your needs?

You snipped out my paragraph where I mentioned tuning the DB itself,
queries, and schema. I have no doubt that 8.x is faster than 7.x, but I
did not find any reports from people claiming a 10X performance boost. I
didn't look hard, but I did look. I'll look into installing 8.x and see
if we can rerun the tests.