[Asterisk-Users] Re: OT: Best DB

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo tih at eunetnorge.no
Thu Mar 10 08:39:25 MST 2005

Walt Reed <asterisk at linuxguy.com> writes:

> I would expect 8.x to be faster that 7.x, but I didn't see anything
> in the release notes that would indicate a 1 to 2 orders of
> magnitude performance increase.

A few points concerning PostgreSQL and performance:

- Each of the latest releases has improved performance quite a bit.

- Out of the box, it is tuned for minimal resource use, and dismal
  performance.  It really needs to be tuned.  Check out Josh Berkus's
  web site, <http://www.powerpostgresql.com/>, for hints and tips.

- Nothing helps much if your schema and your queries are suboptimal.
  Think about how your data is used, consider what indexes you need,
  rewrite slow queries to be smarter (use EXPLAIN).

- Did I mention you need to tune the database system to your needs?

-tih
--
Don't ascribe to stupidity what can be adequately explained by ignorance.