[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Walt Reed asterisk at linuxguy.com
Thu Mar 10 08:09:00 MST 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 08:55:53AM -0500, David Filion said:
> Walt Reed wrote:
> >Now one of our lead engineers has done some performance testing last
> >night for our
> >app and found MySQL to be 8 to 100 times faster for all but one of our
> >operations (combination of ~80% reads, 20% writes on the InnoDB table
> >type.) His testing basically increased the load until performance was
> >unacceptable.
> >
> >This is with lots of optimizations on Postgres (the current DB for the
> >app) and none on MySQL. Needless to say, we now need to re-evaluate our
> >decision to move everything to Postgres.
>
> Out of curiosity, what version of PostgreSQL was used? 7.x, 8.x?  Also,
> was the test run on the same system?  I'm not looking to bash.  I'm just
> curious as we are in the same MySQL/PostgreSQL boat.

We are useing 7.4.6. Considering 8.0 just came out in January, and
considering how many major changes went into it, we were leary of
upgrading until it had time to get tested by the masses. I would expect
8.x to be faster that 7.x, but I didn't see anything in the release
notes that would indicate a 1 to 2 orders of magnitude performance increase.

The tests were run on the same server (RHEL3 on a maxed out DL380-g4).
We had been tuning the table design / query design, postgres config,
etc. for quite some time, trying to get better performance. the mysql
install was just the standard binaries available on the mysql site, with
the default config.