[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

mmiranda at americatel.com.sv mmiranda at americatel.com.sv
Thu Mar 10 08:09:09 MST 2005

> I'd *love* to see the particulars of that test.  It's been
> shown time and time
> again that postgres' speed CLOBBERS mysql for anything but
> the simplest
> selects, and that it can handle far more concurrent
> connections without
> slowing down.

I strongly agree with this, i have a prepaid voip solution with asterisk,
freeradius and postgresql , the hole thing relies in stored procedures and
triggers (i mean the billing, traffic monitoring, admin system, etc). It had
scaled from thousands of minutes per month to two millions in these days
without an issue, we export the cdr to mysql for the IT/Customer Service
guys, because they have php/mysql programmers (We do Java/Postgres), but we
keep the original data  in our postgres DB, for simple select like the sum
of minutes per month or per customer in a period of time, yeah, postgres is
about 30% slower than mysql, but if they want to know the total
minutes/calls per destination country, customers and peak hours, we run a
single stored procedure with temporal tables and cursors, wait some seconds
and... oh yeah, the beautiful report suddently appears in our screen, then
we smile while our workmates run 3 or 4 querys (stored procedures in mysql?,
not yet, triggers?, not yet, cursors?, not yet, what else ??.... not
yet,etc) and wait minutes for their results.

Hardware
HP DL380, 2x 2.8 Ghz, 3GB RAM
Software
Asterisk, Freeradius, Postgresql 7.4, Mysql 4.1

Just my $0.02

---
Miguel