[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir at cohens.org.il
Wed Mar 9 13:18:09 MST 2005

On Wed, Mar 09, 2005 at 02:50:47PM -0500, list at ipmotel.net wrote:
> I know this is a bit off topic but we are using Asterisk  :)
>
> Since this list is full of tech gurus w/ all different sorts of
> backgrounds, I thought I would get the best opinions here.
>
> We have several different switches and other telecom equipment at our
> facilities which all have their own proprietary cdr platforms, which are
> rather limited. The company I work for is looking to develop their own
> in-house billing system that would combine cdr from all platforms and bring
> it into one big db, so we can do whatever we like w/ the data...billing,
> invoices, reports, asr...etc...
>
> So my question is this....
>
> What's the most stable, fastest & reliable database for this project? Call
> volume is about 8 to 10 million minutes per month, and we want to have 12
> months of cdr available at any given time, anything older can be archived
> on tape.
> So what's the best db...oracle, ms sql, informix, mysql or something else?

I'm not saying that it is the best or anything, I'm just wondering why
it is ommited:

  PostgreSQL

Comes well-integrated with your linux distro of choice, just like MySQL.
Well-supoprted by Asterisk.

I don't know exactly what type of application you'll have but generally
it performs better than MySQL with more complex logic.

Both MySQL and PostgreSQL have the obvious atvantage of being free of
licensing headaches. E.g.: you'll never loose a week of development
because the server licenses are delayed and you'll never have to change
your design because client licenses are expensive.

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | New signature for new address and  |  VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il | new homepage                       | a Mutt's