[Asterisk-Users] OT: Best DB

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Mar 9 13:08:27 MST 2005

On Wed, 2005-03-09 at 14:50 -0500, list at ipmotel.net wrote:
> I know this is a bit off topic but we are using Asterisk  :)
>
> Since this list is full of tech gurus w/ all different sorts of backgrounds,
> I thought I would get the best opinions here.
>
> We have several different switches and other telecom equipment at our
> facilities which all have their own proprietary cdr platforms, which are
> rather limited. The company I work for is looking to develop their own
> in-house billing system that would combine cdr from all platforms and bring
> it into one big db, so we can do whatever we like w/ the data...billing,
> invoices, reports, asr...etc...
>
> So my question is this....
>
> What's the most stable, fastest & reliable database for this project? Call
> volume is about 8 to 10 million minutes per month, and we want to have 12
> months of cdr available at any given time, anything older can be archived on
> tape.
> So what's the best db...oracle, ms sql, informix, mysql or something else?

Best is subjective. It really depends on what needs you have to satisfy
and what you are willing to compromise on.

You can drop all the commercial DBs if your group is willing to
develop/work a bit more.

If you need replication, you need to look into what supports it. I
understand there are tools for Mysql and Postgres to do replication, but
postgres may not be as well polished there yet.

My experience has been that postgres is better at scaling than mysql
without having to jump through the hoops to make it scale. Of course my
experience was about as much writing(inserts, updates) as reads.

For stability, I don't think there is any problems with mysql or
postgres. I only had problems with mysql under heavy load.