[Asterisk-Users] Recommended Phone for beginner

Mark Eissler mark at mixtur.com
Tue Mar 8 08:15:28 MST 2005

On Mar 7, 2005, at 9:32 PM, Ryan Burke wrote:

> Hello everyone, I've been watching this list for a while, but it is
> the first time I've posted. I'ved decided to setup a * server for my
> house and will need 3 phones (one main, one for my wife, and one for
> my office). I was wondering if there was a particular brand that
> people reommended? I'd like ot get an actual SIP phone, instead of an
> adapter like

This question comes up a lot on this list. I mean, A LOT. You'd be
better off searching the archives. I'm searching for a low cost IP
phone too and have put it off until the Grandstream GXP-2000 is
available. Here are the issues as I see it:

1) Sipura 841 ($85):
    - you either like it or hate it, there are tons of comments about
the rubber keys
    - no backlit screen (in this day & age you think everyone would be
backlighting by now)
    - no PoE (if you're going to upgrade to IP phones why bother with
power bricks?)
    - buggy, but it looks like all of the phones are
    - screenshots I've seen of the screen graphics are not very
impressive,,,it looks kind of cheap
    - screen is not adjustable and the phone sits pretty flat

2) Polycom IP 300 ($139):
    - no PoE (although it is an option via a special cable that sells
for around $40)
    - no speakerphone (gee, and Polycom is known for their
speakerphones...go figure)
    - you need to upgrade to the IP500 to get a speakerphone
    - you need to upgrade to the IP600 to get a speakerphone and PoE

3) Grandstream BudgetTone 101, 102 ($75):
    - these phones are basically cheap and crap

4) Grandstream GXP-2000 ($115 est.):
    - supports up to 11 lines
    - built-in 2-port switch
    - supports PoE
    - backlit AND adjustable screen
    - speakerphone
    - what's not to like? well, it could turn out just to be a fancy
BudgetTone at that price point but if it's not then they'll be the ones
to beat.
    - unfortunately, it's unknown when this unit will be available,
current estimates are sometime in March.

5) SwissVoice IP10s ($150):
    - don't hear much about these but it might be just because they only
added SIP last Fall (still, they've supported MGCP for quite a while).
    - those that have 'em seem to like 'em

6) Zultsys ZIP 2 IP Phone ($94):
    - haven't seen much written about these either
    - they look pretty cheap

7) Snom 190 ($230):
    - seems to be highly rated, but it also costs about $230

8) Cisco 7912G ($245):
    - haven't heard much about these at all
    - the problem with Cisco is related to getting firmware updates...I
think you need an ongoing service contract which makes them more of an
ongoing investment rather than a purchase.

It would be nice to read more reviews about these products with proper
pictures rather than those miniscule ones that all of the vendors seem
to provide. Also, you need to keep in mind that just because something
is an IP phone that doesn't at all mean it will play nice with Asterisk
(or any other specific system).

The good thing is that it looks like 2005 will be a great year for
cheap, full featured, IP phones. The longer you can wait the more
choices you will have. It's always good to start with an analog
adapter, IMHO, because if you need fax support you will probably need
one of those too. And if you want to add a cheap cordless phone (that
is, multiple handsets for less than $400) then you will need an
adapter.

For now, I've chosen to ride things out with my old Siemens Gigaset and
have ordered a Sipura 2100 as the only immediate upgrade (not to
impressed with my current adapter).

-mark

Mark Eissler, mark at mixtur.com
Mixtur Interactive, Inc. - at - http://www.mixtur.com