[Asterisk-Users] The ZIP2 (was Recommended Phone for beginner)

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Tue Mar 8 15:02:23 MST 2005

Mark Eissler wrote:

> 6) Zultsys ZIP 2 IP Phone ($94):
>    - haven't seen much written about these either
>    - they look pretty cheap

I bought one of these to use with Asterisk

Phone is fairly light, and the little rubber feet come off easily.
No display at all, so no back light issue
No speakerphone. On hook dialing though.
The handset is a funky shape
two line appearances, not with individual buttons, but toggle between
calls and conference two calls does work as advertised.
SUPPOSED to support PoE, but have yet to try that.
Has an acoustic echo option
The web based setup seems fairly complete, and the user manual,
available on line, is probably not worth printing, as all it does is
commit to paper the web interface. It did explain what the AEC option
meant, but little beyond making it worth reading or printing 100 pages.
Have yet to be able to get the MWI to work, but can't be sure that is
the phone.
Support people are not too smart. I asked about a wall mount bracket for
the phone, as it has a reversible clip that would allow the handset to
hang on hook if it were wall mounted, and the base has notches to accept
some sort of molded bracket, but support said " go to your telephone
supply house"
Sure glad I didn't ask them a really hard question.

Would I buy another? Probably not. A buddy has one of the really cheap
BT 101 phones, which seems to work really well. The speakerphone suffers
from echo, but other than that, for light duty use it probably is a
better choice.

Personally I don't think any SIP phone needs to cost much over 100
bucks. and could still be usable and rugged.

JMO

John Novack