[Asterisk-Users] newbie questions

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Mon Mar 7 15:05:04 MST 2005

>I've read through a good amount of documentation on voip-info.org, but
>hadn't found a solution, so I thought this list might help. I'm not
>great with linux, and I suspect there might be a port problem... maybe
>Asterisk isn't listening for SIP clients. How would I go about
>checking this? X-Lite configuration is pretty straightforward, you
>just give it username/password and point it at a SIP proxy. However,
>as far as I can tell it isn't able to register, or it's not listening
>to Asterisk... hard to tell really.

If you RIGHT-click on the sliver skin of the X-Lite console and LEFT-click
on "Diagnostic log" you will see the debug information as X-Lite is trying
to register with Asterisk. The operative part is:

"SIP/2.0" followed by a number and a status code.

You will note that the status code is the same as HTTP status codes I.E.
"2XX" = OK, did it and "4XX" means your client is the problem and "5XX" is
something is wrong with the server.

Looking thru the diag log will get you started in the right direction to
troubleshoot. For the codes, look here:

http://www.zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC2543/Output/chapter5.html

hth