[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk@Home and VoiceMail

Don Murray asterisk at geeksrus.ca
Mon Mar 7 15:01:52 MST 2005

Hi all,

Yeah, another newbie here but I'm getting down to just the "nice to
have" problems not the "need to have" problems so life with Asterisk is
good :)

I have installed Asterisk at Home 0.6.  I have 2 Polycom IP500's plugged
into the network, no outside connection yet but I have ordered a TE110P
card from Digium.

I have a voicemail related questions.  Voicemail is working but is there
a way to....

(1) have dialing one's own phone automatically put you into voicemail?
If I connect to my own extension I get to leave a message at my
voicemail box (because I am on the phone at the moment) but no amount of
key banging (*98 specifically) seems to get me into accessing my
voicemail-mode, which is the behaviour I would prefer.

(2) Reconfigure Polycom phones to remap the call made when you push the
"voicemail" buttton, to a voicemail extension, for example.  I have a
voicemail extension (111) working so if I could reprogram this button it
would solve (1).  The thing is that at the moment pushing the voicemail
button on the phone dials the phone's own extension by default.  I konw
if the voicemail button doesn't work I can look forward to having to
explain why to each and everyone person with one of these phones,
probably twice each :)

I have successfully configured a voicemail extension that behaves
exactly the way I would like the voicemail button to work.

Thanks,

Don